Friday, May 22, 2009

Start Spreadin' the News!

I finally heard the news today - and the news is GOOD!

It took my pathology report forever to come back, but we were pleased with what we heard today. First of all, as I told you earlier, the surgeon was able to get about 85% of the tumor. He stopped when he got to a point where he felt that if he went further, he might hit up on something that might change my personality - and we certainly don't want that!

The tumor has been identified as a grade 3 anaplastic oligodendroglima - something that is about in the middle of good and bad. In addition, the reports show that I have something else that I can't remember - I only remember the letters "p" and "q" - and this is a good thing because past studies have shown that those with these indicators respond better to treatment.

The next good thing is that the best way - at least initially - is to treat this with an oral chemo pill (Temodar) They say that there are few side effects and that this should be pretty easy for me to handle. I will take a pill five days in a row and then be off for 23 days, then five more pills, off again, etc. for a year - or maybe two. Every three or six months or so, in between the chemo doses, they will do an MRI to check things out. Hope is that we will begin to see some shrinkage of the remaining 15% of the tumor within about six months. Since this is a very slow grower, that seems to be the standard.

I have been "ordered" to begin exercising - use it or lose it, they say - and walking is the way to start. The doctor says that 45 minutes of real walking is the way to go - a little sweat never hurt anyone. 

In addition, I am supposed to begin to watch what I eat - plainer, fresher food is on the menu. Of course, this doctor has never experienced all the great food that I've been enjoying from all of you great cooks or he might reconsider! Anyway, I'm going to work on it. 

The chemo starts on Tuesday - seems weird to finally be moving on with things. After talking to the doctor, I've also decided to extend my leave for two weeks to give me some time to build my energy up. All of this sounds like positive moves forward and forward is where I want to go. 

When I've absorbed more of what I heard today, I'll let you know. In the meantime, we can all be happy - today was full of good news!!!

Happy Memorial Day - xxx - the Brainiac

23 comments:

  1. Gail,
    I'm so glad that you had a good news day and that you now have a plan. You have prayers and support from all of us who love you, good doctors, modern science, and a strong spirit. Those are all things to celebrate.
    Love, Jacque

    ReplyDelete
  2. gail,
    THANK YOU for posting the news - and i am SO THANKFUL that the news is GOOD! i want to wake up everybody and be sure they know... but i can wait until daylight... i guess i should, anyway.

    we want you to come to dallas before you have to go back to work. i've got to start exercising, too, so, when you do, i'll walk with you on the katy trail.

    in the meantime, mind those P's and Q's 'cause we love you and like you LOTS!

    be good to yourself!
    shannon b.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good to hear your news, Gail. Marc and I are very happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thrilled to hear your good news and of course I will start spreading the news! If you need walking buddies I am always available. Only try to go early in the morning and beat the heat! Malla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news, Gail! Sounds like a good plan going forward -- although I don't know about diet part. Listening to everything people have been sending, I think it might be hard to give that up.
    Oh, well. Back to reality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gail and Clif -- great news! I am happy you have a new plan and that you have been venturing out and about with friends. Let me know when you want a walking buddy -- I am available. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great news, Gail! Thanks for letting us know. Love from Sarah and Burke.

    ReplyDelete
  8. GBG - What wonderful news! Jerry and I were hoping this would be the case. Best wishes for a reclaimed energy and zest for life!
    See you soon. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gail this is great news! I know that you will do well with the chemo. I also think you are smart to take a little more time off to build your strength before returning to work. I will keep checking in to see what great progress you are making. You could not be at a better place and besides you and your family have so many wonderful people praying for you.

    Love to all - tell your sisters and parents hello from an old neighbor - Caroline Cobb.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful you have a plan and will be moving on it toot sweet, Gail. Good news all around.
    xoxo,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  11. For some reason I thought it was NEXT Friday. Soooooo glad you found out, waiting is a bitch....no nice way to say it! Sounds like really good news with the oral chemo, WOW, better living through modern science.
    NOW, the weight issue....I'm there too sistah! I guess this means no more New Braunfels Cinnamon Rolls or Mexican food....cheating is a good thing though, maybe just once a week. Walking is good, put on a hat so you don't end up in the Melomona Clinic along with David Beck. Oh me oh my, I love you so and glad you are moving to the next step.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gail I am so happy about the good news! It sounds like you are on the road to recovery!!!

    I'm glad the surgery didn't change you - what would we do????

    Take it easy and try to rest! See you in a few weeks!!!
    Danette

    ReplyDelete
  13. GBG - Sooooo glad to hear the great news. We have been praying for you. Certainly this is an answered prayer. I would love to walk with you some - it's definitely a great way to exercise in my opinion! Just let me know when you want to hit a trail! Cheers - and see you soon (though glad you're taking a bit more time to rest).

    DeDe

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gail, welcome to "walkers anonymous"! Soooo glad you got the good news and are underway on the treatment (I think today's the day). Love ya! gg

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you want a walking partner, count me in - idi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gail, Bob and I were so happy to hear your good news--you've been in our prayers. I miss seeing you, but I'm glad you're getting a little more recovery time before you head back to work. Take care, Carol B.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Gail - thanks for the good news update!!

    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  18. GBG! That all sounds good to me. I just saw your update as we were out of town for a few days. If you are interested, I have a perfectly good semi-fancy treadmill you can long-term borrow. (Like the possum cage.) I prefer walking outside -- although the heat IS a big problem. Laurel is doing cartwheels now with the hope you'll want the equipment. She says she will sweeten the deal with a gold, leopared print headband for you.

    Trust the little pill went down well today. And excellent woman for taking more time off work. I hope you are still reading comments on this old string. If I don't hear from you, I'll try Facebook. big squeese from us. Leslie and Laurel.

    ReplyDelete
  19. squeese??? No, that's squeeze, of course. But I kinda like squeese.

    ReplyDelete
  20. gbg.
    What amazing news........Thank you for sharing! I'll go on those walks with you; we can even climb stairs! Keep smiling and know that we love you!
    Catherine, Mike, Elizabeth & Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hurray!!!! Great news!!!!! We are very thrilled at the Shuford household!

    Lot of hugs,

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  22. it's almost 1:00am and i hope you're sleeping.
    please know that you can always call me if you are up - i'm flipping the switch on the little box beside my bed. (the little box is an imac, but you had the right idea!)
    LULU!
    s-b

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gail, back in town today so I just see the news...hooray!! Definitely decent news...pill, plus healthier food plus walking.
    so thankful!! xo, Angela

    ReplyDelete