Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Gail is out of surgery

I just got back from the hospital, where Gail is resting peacefully in ICU. We got to speak with Dr. Weinberg around 8 p.m. He was able to resect about 85% of the tumor, which he felt was a success. He said they would address the remaining tumor areas with other therapies. Other than speculating, we won't know for certain the exact tumor type and grade until the pathology comes back on Friday or Monday.

Ok, so for the part you really want to know. Yes, Gail was able to see her family after surgery. She was in and out of consciousness due to the medication, but she was able to talk and move. She said her name, she knows her family, and she gave her love to everyone. They asked her what floor she was on and she said the 9th floor (which is where we work in Pediatrics a lot). They said, "No, you're on the 7th floor," which Gail answered, "close enough." Good to know she hasn't lost her sense of humor!

She will spend the night in ICU and hopefully move to a regular inpatient room tomorrow. Sarah Kate will be updating the blog for the rest of the weekend, so she'll be able to let you know how Gail progresses as the medications begin to wear off. For now, Gail seems to be comfortable and getting some rest.

Thanks for all of the thoughts, prayers, notes, visits, goodies to eat, etc. Time to call it a day!

Sara F.

P.S. The Goodwin bunch finished the puzzle today, exactly one minute before Dr. Weinberg came. They put it back in the box for Gail to work on later...no time like the present to get her brain back in shape! We'll post a photo soon.

15 comments:

  1. Way to go GBG - we love you and were thinking about you all day. I'll be over tomorrow to make sure I approve of Dr. W's work. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You came through with flying colors, GBG! My prayers and thoughts are still coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Success, yes!! That's the best news I've heard all day...heck, all week! Love you, Gail, and hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sister in law- Mary AnnApril 22, 2009 at 11:35 PM

    I am thrilled, excited, and feel like i am an expert at punching in www.gbg, etc!!! i am really amazed how quickly you were talking and responding after being under anesthesia all day-- you are incredible!!!!! WONDERWOMAN
    GLAD THE DAY IS OVER AND I LOVE THE BLOG
    From your sister in law-Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait until Gail's back on the roller skates. I'm wearing my brainiac bracelet again today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gail, This is wonderful news. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Carol Bryce

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're a superwoman, Gail! Our love to you and our sincere gratitude to Dr. W -- it takes a man with a golden hand to treat our lady with a golden brain. Hugs to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great news. I've been thinking about you Gail!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YEAH! Wonderful news to hear! Sending all good thoughts and prayers to you Gail. Karen Hensley

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for updating us all, Sara and Sara Kate! You're superwomen too!
    Gail, I'm so thrilled to know all went well. We'll keep sending the good vibes in your direction. Love to you! xoxoxo's
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gail and team, I really appreciate the way you have kept us up dated. Let Gail know I am sending the news on the Bisonettes -- even though they were way cuter and more popular than me. Love to all, Nancy Jane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jodybobfromtexas@yahoo.comApril 23, 2009 at 10:24 AM

    Gail - Bison blood runs strong and true. Even though I'm still lugging you around in my prayer bucket, I'm glad to know you came through the surgery with your funny bone still attached and your brain still working. I'll keep shooting the juice your way until I hear you're in the clear. Thanks to your family for keeping us all updated. Good thing my hair's already white - just one less thing to fret about. Love, Jody

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Gail - I'm tracking your progress regularly and also keeping you and your family in my prayers. Much love from California way - Susan Dillon Tschudi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Gail,
    Jody sent me the word about you. We know how to petition "the powers that be" to make things better and that's all there is to it. I have always loved your sense of humor girl, so keep smiling. Hugs from Oak Cliff.
    Steve Brooks

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, some of you guys are really coming out of the woodwork. It's been a very long time since I lived in Oak Cliff and a pretty long time since I've seen many of you. I was never in the Sunset HS choir (scared of Bill White), but I fooled you all with the Bisonettes - I can so memorize! So, it's really the reverse - I can sing, but not dance - sad, but true. I would prefer both skills!

    ReplyDelete