Friday, April 17, 2009

The Long Goodbye!

Gee - kind of a hard day today. In the office for the last day - and I even went to a meeting. It was an easy one, but it was a meeting. I spent the rest of the time on the phone and hugging friends and then showing Braden off and introducing him around to all my PA buddies while I said my goodbyes (goodbyes for a while - just a while). It took almost an hour to make the loop around - and he was pushing me. When I finally did head out the door, my hallmates lined up like a parade to give hugs and best wishes.

Well, you know me - it called for a performance. Never one to be shy (you do know me, right?), I burst into spontaneous song. Of course, it was a rousing rendition of "Turn out the lights, the party's over..." that quickly sounded sort of ominous so I had to make up some new happy words fast to bring smiles back to all the faces. Still, it was a fitting way to exit - and, brought a few tears to my eyes as we sailed down the elevator. Weird, weird, weird - I don't like this AT ALL!!!

Lunch in the Village - sweet Braden's treat! Then he was so kind and toted me around to all kinds of random places to get all kinds of random stuff I "needed" before next week. We ended at Walgreen's where it turned black as night and started poring. Curbservice for me - and we headed home. There, I had to confirm a Monday a.m. MRI appt. and then began to focus on my FMLA situtation. I learned a lot - more than I wanted to know and found a few surprises along the way. Good thing that I haven't been sick much - seems I just might need some of those days in the next few weeks if I want to continue to receive a pay check - REALITY BITES!!!

While I am really getting ready to get this show on the road, I suddenly find myself wishing for more days because there are some things - sort of business-kind-of-stuff - that I need to take care of. I have decided to make an office appearance on Sunday (please don't tell - I just need a few hours of quiet concentration and then I'll be done and over and, I promise, out) for a final desk wrap-up. I will finish the three relatively small things that need doing and make a list of things to take care of personally in the next few days. I will ease my mind - and that will be a good thing!

Okay, back to today - or, rather, tonight. After numerous conversations, it was determined that dinner would go on at the same time in the same place with all the same people. I'm so glad it happened. We talked and hugged and we talked and hugged and took a few pictures, too - oh, and we laughed - so good to laugh with friends and family. Plus, in spite of the fact that I must stick with aqua, the dinner was delish (thanks for the treat, Miz Gene and whoever else - loved it so much) - I'm tasting things again and I am hungry. Too bad - I was kinda on a skinny roll for a while there. Maybe Wednesday will nip this in the bud - ya think?

After dinner, my friend Cathy (well, Catherine, but she'll always be Cathy to me) pulled a magic hospital "fun bag" out of her car for me. Take lessons, people - it was amazing! There were gingersnaps (cute little heart-shaped ones - not those big grocery store klunkers) for upset tummies; chocolate for anything; face balm, lip balm, lotions, potions and creams for dry skin; a slick new and fancy notebook and pen for taking notes when you meet with the docs; a supremely soft mudgy set so I don't have to be naked; and - OHMYGOSH - a Kindle fully loaded with 30 (count 'em) books plus a night light, two room chargers and a car charger plus complete written instructions on how to use it. Oh, and the tote bag that all of this came in was wonderful, too, and pulled it altogether. 

I don't know how to accept stuff like this - or how to thank someone for this kind of thoughtfulness. I was forced to swear that I would not write a thank you note. Well, that's okay, because it wouldn't ever be enough anyway. Here's my latest thought for much that has been coming my way lately: pay it forward, Gail - pay it forward. You can thank those helping you by helping those you meet up with later. This is my promise (getting late, getting kinda mushy - but I mean it - really) so help me stick to it - I'm paying it forward.

This was the end of a long, but special day - but I forgot to tell you what I found on my office chair when I arrived this a.m. There was a gift card to Soma to purchase something comfy to live in at home left there for me from my good CAP buddy Angela. That in itself was so wonderful and thoughtful because I LOVE Soma - but it was accompanied by the best idea I have ever seen. There was a fully addressed, stamped envelope (to Angela) with my return address on it. Inside the envelope was a handwritten thank you with all the appropriate sentiments. All that was left for me to do was sign my name and then put it in the mailbox. She had a post-it on the note that told me to do just that and to mark it off my list - must have known how long that list is getting!!! Have you ever heard of such an idea - Angela, how wonderful and cute and funny at the same time. Loved it all - got the message - will do!

Now, that I am calling out people by name, I am feeling some guilt because there are so many I haven't mentioned - my special drivers this week: Diane, Sunny and Jo Ann who added in great lunch stops along the way home - and, yes, you, too, Braden; the gazillions of cards I've gotten at home and work (you know your names); the beautiful flowers from special colleagues, friends and family; the little gifts, the visits, the hugs, the calls, the e-mails, the FB messages - I am uplifted (and I see that I stopped mentioning names - can we say that there are just too many to mention?). 

Thank you all so very much - it gives me a warm feeling inside to have such friends - love you all - and, finally, over and out for me! - xxxgbg

1 comment:

  1. Gail, because I don't "live" near you, I didn't get to join in the hallway farewell. I feel cheated, but am looking forward to our skate date and another enchilada dinner complete with a Miller Lite (or two, or three!) at Sylvia's sooner rather than later. My dad's 78th birthday is the 22nd. We'll eat a larger-than-usual piece of chocolate sheet cake and raise a glass to you.
    Love and xoxo's,
    R

    ReplyDelete