Friday, June 19, 2009

TGIF !!!

Yes, Thank God It's Friday. It's been a very long week, but thanks to my colleague Sara, you saw that I did make it back to the office.

On Monday, I was greeted with a wonderful welcome - my office door was fitted with new "saloon doors" that supposedly opened to the Miller Lite Saloon. Inside, it was Party Barn Central with glitter everywhere, shiny stars hanging from the ceiling, a neon pink feather boa, blow-up microphones, a beach pail full of candy - it goes on and on. My door was covered with a photo essay of me wearing a variety of hats all photoshopped on - everything from Aretha's inaugural chapeau to the most bizarre headgear you've ever seen. The theme was the top seven things I would rather do than have brain surgery (I could actually take it a little further than seven, but this will do). After lots of hugs and good wishes from all my friends, we went around the corner for a delicious breakfast - all kinds of fruit, sweetrolls, muffins, an egg casserole, juice and more. I spent the majority of the day hugging old friends and answering e-mails - somewhat of a sensory overload, but so heartwarming. I was glad to be back!

For the most part, I worked half days this week with the goal of full time next week. The exception to this was on Tuesday when I had some patient-related appointments across the street so I stayed for the afternoon. Clif was to pick me up at 5 p.m., but unfortunately he had a glitch with his day so it was 5:55 p.m. before he got there. I was pretty much a puddle and asleep by 7:30 that night. Speaking of Clif, he's been such a super sport about "driving Miss Crazy" this week. I know that I interrupt his work, but I sure appreciate him fetching me to and from. When he has conflicts, I have many offers from friends to help out.

Still, what they say is right - and it's kind of backwards. The more I am up and about, the better I do. I have still been taking a nap every afternoon - deep, deep sleep for a couple of hours. I still have to make myself get up in the morning. And, an hour is still pretty much my max for continuous concentration. BUT, I can walk further and feel more upwardly mobile. That's a good thing!

This week I had an appointment with Integrative Medicine to discuss my extreme fatigue and what I can do with diet and exercise to get my pep back. The diet recommended is mostly plant based - there was no mention of fried shrimp or chicken fried steak on this menu. Mostly, I'm to spend my shopping time wandering the aisles of Whole Foods in search of organic fruits and veggies. And, Whole Foods also has the supplements I'm supposed to be adding to my diet like B12 and flax seeds. In fact, it seems that almost everything I need is available there - and I can get some walking in, too.

Next week I begin my second round of oral chemo. Keep your fingers crossed that it goes well. I'll also see my doctor again so maybe I'll have more news. In the meantime, I'll just keep on keepin' on. Thanks for being patient and checking in.

xxx from your old friend, the Brainiac!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you made it through your first week with (semi)flying colors! It sounds like you had a good support system there to guide you through. Enjoy relaxing this weekend and don't think about Monday until Monday morning.
    xoxo,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete